Sunday, January 01, 2006

A new year...but!

Aha. It's another new year. A time to ask oneself in the face if the new year has descended already. And starting to have those thinking that whatever had happened in the final days of the previous year will really affect you in the year ahead. If you really had no idea what I am talking of, it's about the holiday trip to Malaysia.

I guess whatever had been happening since the holiday trip to back home within the family almost directly and indirectly comes back to - me. I was under the weather (eek) just the night before the trip and was really seriously considering of backing out. But after at the clinic getting the medicine and all, maybe I will be able to pull through to the new year. But then it was one overlooking on my part that caused my own mother to fall ill on New Year's Eve. Clothing. I never brought enough jumpers with me. Part of the package includes to Genting and Cameron Highlands. Mother had to lend me one and she became under the weather instead. I feel so guilty whenever I looked at her. I mean, I am almost recovering now (thank goodness I can go back to school when it reopens on Tuesday) because of taking those medicine, at the hotel room and even on the coach. Real unpleaseant. Really unpleasant. You know when we were in Malaysia in 2002 (23-26/12), I was sick on the morning of Boxing Day and had to rush to the hotel toilet to vomit into the toilet bowl. Homesickeness, I deduced then. We were in Malacca and I was sinking in the fact that I had spent my Christmas the first time abroad then.

We went back there today and it was the final day of tour package. Genting Highlands, Cameron Highlands, Kuala Lumpur and Malacca. Four days at four different places. The weather was kind of real bad when we were in the Malaysian capital in late evening to the night, but not to the time when it was time for the countdown to 2006. And funnily for the first time, I don't really enjoy watching countdown shows. Or maybe because I am abroad the first time on a New Year's Eve and the host country's countdown shows don't appeal to me that much, or maybe because I am almost recovering from my fever and flu. Either way when I was in the hotel room, I was trying to get some sleep and it took me after I heard all those fireworks from where I am (the hotel where we stayed is kind of near to one of the countdown spots at the capital) then I really dozed off. Out of practice before I really went to bed, I said an audible 'Happy New Year' to my siblings who were in the room trying to find out where the fireworks are from the window and watching it on TV too. We discussed about it today at home (in Singapore) as we were watching the evening news reporting about the various countdown celebrations around the island and around the world.

I don't know but I feel a little weird when the coach had arrived at Kuala Lumpur from Cameron Highlands. Maybe it's the liberation in me that I am finally in a city, not on some higher ground where the air pressure is not really to my kind. But I am not saying the time in Genting and Cameron Highlands are not good (despite my sickness which had already kind of dampened everyone in the family), it's still great minus me being the weather those times. Bad realisation for someone who had grew up in a life used to modern city lifestyle. The purpose of a holiday - get away from that kind of place. And me wanting to complain in my head that I rather be in a city than somewhere else! But then as our tour guide told us along the way, those living like in the Cameron Highlands are more healthier than the city-dwellers where lives can be so hectic. Deep down inside me, I hate to admit, it is true. I had always knew that one thing I had to envy from my father's time, it's the whole kampung lifestyle where it's always so carefree and fun. I told Dad once that. I am not kidding. I really like that kind of atmosphere, you know. Not the kind where my peers and I go through where somehow we may not really know about our own surrounding neighbours but only people we know from school, work, extended family line, or some social or community gatherings. But at least it's alright I know who lives exactly next-door to where my family is and how they are like. But then Mother is the sociable kind. She can chat whoever lives in the building or neighbourhood if she often sees them.

Initally before we started on the trip, I thought I may never like guided tours to another country. But I was kind of wrong myself.

Also, it's always very interesting to compare the different hotels I had stayed this time in Malaysia. Genting Highlands was at Hotel First World, probably the more prominent one among all the hotels there. And the number of hotel rooms is enough to scare me. 5000 and counting. It's like the ten times more of hotel occupancy here, if comparing with a hotel within the Orchard area. At Cameron Highlands, it's at Heritage Hotel. This one is better than the Genting one where it's slightly larger. But I really cannot balme the one where I stayed at Genting because of the reputation it holds. I mean like hey, I saw many China tourists (and other nationalities but that is the most I noticed) at the Hotel First World, you know. At Kuala Lumpur, it's at Federal Hotel. Malacca was the last stop before it was homeward bound (finally, when I saw the sign at the highway saying Singapura - Singapore in Bahasa Malay).

At Genting, we went wild and mad at the indoor arcade. At Cameron Highlands, I went 'oooed' and 'aahed' at the various plantations and joined with the rest on the coach for fruit-tree hunting (read: durians; LOL) on the coach itself, look at strawberries, stopping at a mini butterfly and flower exhibit (and the rates are darn cheap, even by Singapore standards!), almost behaving like a real idiot and a three-year old kid (LOL!) when we stopped by a waterfall (a real one) and trying to pretend I am a Geography student (where I am not) when my sister asked of how waterfalls are created. But hey, I learnt about waterfalls in Sec Two and so the basics are still kind of in my head. At Kuala Lumpur, it's relooking at the places I knew of and not and having dinner despite the surprise downpour. And thinking in my head all day long what will I be doing back home in Singapore on this day. And commenting to Dad that this is how we spent our New Year's Eve abroad - at the capital of Malaysia. He then replied that we spent the days leading to Christmas in 2002. And yeah, the fireworks I heard while trying to sleep. This is how I spent New Year's Eve - sleeping ahead of the countdown, but then I had no choice because I am still not really well yet. And at Malacca, excited at the prospect of heading home but still off to historical sites. And giggle like a little girl when seeing trishaws because it is in Malacca in 2002 where I had my first ride. I never had the lifestyle like what Dad went through.

And wanting to scream at the top of my lungs that I am really home after we had passed through the Singapore customs. I am a real nutter. And what do I get when I returned to the place where I was born and live all my life? Heavy rain. Passing through the HDB flats and into the shopping hub of Orchard, all enough to make me smile and feel all-so relaxed all over again. Like as if I had never left the country.

But the first day of 2006 also marred with something - Mother being under the weather. I know, but then watching the evening news is pure liberation. Again. Discussing news from the TV since the last time I did never made me felt so happier.

So, whatever might had happened in 2005, I just took it as something to reflect upon and facing the now AD2006 with one thing in mind - good health. 2005 may be kind of a trying year for me but then it kind of ended in a positive note. I know I am going to say Harry Potter and the 117th IOC Session made the year for what it is called 2005 for me, but then at least I am not alone when it comes to the latter. It is also in the top position of the unofficial Top 10 Events of 2005 on Perfect 10. Whee.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...